February 13, 2016

21° Fair

KSU men advance to SIAC 2nd round

Published 9:13 am Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Kentucky State mens basketball team is still alive.

The Thorobreds overcame a first half deficit and then held onto a narrow lead to win 60-57 over Fort Valley State in the first round of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Tournament at Morehouse College Tuesday afternoon.

The Wildcats ended the first half ahead 25-22 and carried that advantage until KSU went on a 7-0 run to take a two-point lead with 16:33 to go.

A layup by the Cats Corey Hunter tied the game at 29-29 before the Breds took the lead when 5:14 was left in the game. Nigel Domineck made a layup to tie it at 49-49 and teammate Brandon Davey hit a 3-pointer for the advantage.

With 2:42 to go, Patrick Dawson made two foul shots, then stole the ball and made a 3-pointer. KSU made four of its six free throws in the last minute to win by three.

The Breds shot 56 percent from the foul line and recorded a 33.3 shooting percentage from the field.

Davin Anderson led the Breds with 13 points. Also scoring for KSU were Ulysses Thomas III with 10 points, Darquell Pulliam and Brandon Darrett with 9 each, Patrick Dawson with 7, John Gaston with 6, Troy Adam with 4 and Fred Jones Jr. with 2.

Pulliam and Darrett grabbed 10 rebounds each.

The Wildcats made 10 of their 17 free throws and had a field-goal percentage of 38.2.

Brandon Davey recorded 13 points to lead FVSU. Also scoring for the Wildcats were Joshuah Davis with 12 points,Domineck 8,Desmond Lofland andJeremy Sledge with 7 each,Hunter 6 and Zach Harmon and Aaron Bing with 2 each.

Davey grabbed 12 rebounds, while Lofland finished with seven rebounds and seven assists.

FVSU ends its season at 8-18 overall and 5-14 in the SIAC.

KSU moves to 15-11 overall and 12-6 in the SIAC. The Breds face tournament host Morehouse in the second round3:15 p.m. Thursday.

Emily Patton: (502) 227-4556 EXT 264. Email: epatton@state-journal.com. Twitter: @pemily