Sneijder appears set to leave Inter after dispute

Published:

MILAN (AP) -- Netherlands playmaker Wesley Sneijder appears set to leave Inter Milan following a meeting with the club Monday in an apparent failed attempt to resolve a contract dispute.

"I don't want to talk. Something will come out in the afternoon," Sneijder said upon leaving the meeting with his agent. "I've always been well here."

Sneijder has been sidelined for two months with injury but has now returned to fitness.

Inter caused a stir last month when club director Marco Branca said Sneijder wouldn't play again until he made a decision about his future with a new deal reportedly requiring him to take a pay cut.

Last week, global footballers' union FIFPro highlighted Sneijder's recent exclusion and called for talks about clubs using "blackmail behavior" to force players into signing new contracts.

Sneijder, who has two years remaining on his current deal, is the highest earner at Inter with a salary of about €6 million ($7.8 million) annually.

The 28-year-old Dutchman, who last played for Inter in September, has long been linked with a move to the Premier League. Manchester United came close to signing the playmaker in the 2011 offseason.

In 2010 under then-Inter coach Jose Mourinho, Sneijder helped Inter to a treble with the Serie A, Italian Cup and Champions League titles. However, current coach Andrea Stramaccioni has succeeded with a three-pronged attack of Rodrigo Palacio, Antonio Cassano and Diego Milito.

Sneijder also helped the Netherlands to the 2010 World Cup final.

Stramaccioni said Sunday that it has been his decision not to use Sneijder, and that he has not been influenced by club management.