Man airlifted after Georgetown Road crash

By Kristina Belcher, Published:

A Frankfort man was taken to the hospital by helicopter after a violent early morning crash at the entrance of Silver Lake subdivision.

Frankfort Police Department Capt. Robert Warfel said 20-year-old Mark Connolly was driving east on Georgetown Road just before 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.

When he reached the intersection with Silver Lake Boulevard, Warfel said Connolly’s van veered off the road and hit a tree and then a brick wall.

Connolly was not wearing a seatbelt, but was pinned inside the vehicle.

Warfel said firefighters cut him out of the van and he was then flown to the University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center.

He was unable to communicate with first responders at the scene.

According to a hospital spokesperson, Connolly was listed in serious condition Wednesday morning.

Warfel said alcohol is a suspected factor in the crash.

Officers on the scene said they could smell alcohol. Warfel also said the officers found an open alcoholic beverage container inside the van.

At the time of the crash, Connolly’s license was suspended, Warfel said.

Warfel said Connolly might face charges for DUI and driving on a suspended license.

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.

  • Two different crashes, Homosapien.  One occurred at 1:30 a.m. by a lawless young man and the second one at 4:30 a.m.

    I heard all of the activity around Silver Lake this morning just after I awoke.

  • Ah, I see now, there are 2 very wrecks with similar outcomes where the victims were both airlifted out with life-threatening injuries.  WOW!

  • Wha?  What happened to this version of the story?  


    "Deputy chase ends in wreck; man in serious condition

    State Journal Staff Report, Published: December 18, 2013 8:31AM

    An 18-year-old Frankfort man is in serious condition in the University of Kentucky hospital’s intensive care unit after crashing while allegedly fleeing a sheriff’s deputy.

    Matthew Lynn was airlifted from Frankfort Regional Medical Center to UK with life-threatening injuries, said Franklin County Sheriff Pat Melton.

    Melton said around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday a deputy on U.S. 127 North clocked Lynn speeding at 101 miles per hour.

    Lynn eventually slowed down on Old Owenton Road enough for the pursuing deputy to get his license plate, Melton said, but then he took off again. The deputy lost sight and decided to back off because of the excessive speeds.

    The deputy eventually came upon the wrecked Kia Rio near Bethel Baptist. The Franklin County Fire Department pried Lynn out of the vehicle with the Jaws of Life and he was transported by Frankfort Fire and EMS.

    Melton said alcohol and speed appeared to be contributing factors to the wreck, and that Lynn was operating on a suspended license from a DUI conviction. The sheriff said charges are pending and the investigation is ongoing."