A Frankfort couple managed to escape their house without injury early this morning, but the structure sustained “substantial damage,” according to Fire Chief Eddie Slone.
Slone said the residents of the Bender Drive home reported smelling smoke about 2:30 a.m., but could not locate the source. A short while later they noticed their ceiling fan had stopped working and began searching the area again, when they discovered the flames.
“They got up and looked again, and noticed an orange glow because their ceiling was on fire,” he said.
The couple was able to leave the house without injury because most of the smoke was above them in the attic, Slone said. Frankfort firefighters arrived on the scene and extinguished the blaze in about 45 minutes.
Slone said the roof and attic were heavily damaged and began to collapse. The lower levels of the house sustained water damage as the fire was extinguished. The fire chief said the biggest threat to the fire department while fighting the blaze was high humidity taking a toll on firefighters in heavy gear.