An overheating air conditioning unit caused Frankfort firefighters to evacuate a state office building this morning after workers reported seeing light smoke.
Firefighters responded to 200 Fair Oaks Lane shortly after 8 a.m. after receiving calls of light smoke and a smoke smell on the fourth floor, Assistant Fire Chief Eddie Slone told The State Journal.
Dozens of state workers were evacuated from the building. Investigating firefighters said the smoke came from an overheating fan motor in one of the AC units on the fourth floor.
With the past few days reaching temperatures in the 90s, Slone said an overheating AC unit isn’t uncommon
Workers returned to the building shortly after 9 a.m.