An early morning fire on Harvieland Road destroyed a Franklin County home, and the owner says it’s been “nothing short of a nightmare.”
Homeowner Archie Harrod, 57, said his dogs woke him when the flames broke out. The Franklin County native saved all of his pets – a chow, two Boston terriers and a white cat. However, all of his belongings were destroyed.
Franklin County Fire Chief Gary Watts says the flames broke out around 1:20 a.m., and the home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. Harrod said the fire started after he forgot to blow out a candle. The house is now uninhabitable.
The dry grass caused the front yard to burn along with the house, but Watts said that is usual.
“It never spread out of his yard, and that’s pretty common when you have a structure that big on fire – it’s going to catch everything around it on fire,” Watts said.
A neighbor kept the fire from spreading onto his property with a garden hose until firefighters arrived, Harrod said.
Harrod was the only person in the home and no injuries were reported, Watts said.
The flames were under control within 20 minutes, and emergency crews stayed at the property until around 6:15 a.m., Watts said.