Man dies from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

Parents find him unresponsive

By Katheran Wasson Published:

A Franklin County man was found dead Tuesday night, and preliminary results point to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Franklin County Sheriff Pat Melton told The State Journal that Kenneth Witten Jr., 41, was found unresponsive Tuesday by his parents.

He was staying in an outbuilding at 4815 Flat Creek Road, Melton said, and deputies found a propane heater there was turned on and “wide open.”

Emergency crews were dispatched at 5:42 p.m., Melton said. They tried to revive Witten all the way to Frankfort Regional Medical Center, but were unsuccessful.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

“They worked very, very hard to try to resuscitate him, but they couldn’t help him,” Melton said. “It’s just a terrible, terrible tragedy.”

Franklin County Deputy Coroner Joel Whisman said the Kentucky State Medical Examiner’s office has performed an autopsy, but hasn’t determined an official cause of death.

He said the office planned to gather more information from the scene before ruling on Witten’s death.

Witten’s parents could not be reached for comment this morning. A man who answered the phone at their residence said they had left to make funeral arrangements.

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.