Names of officers involved in fatal shooting released

State Journal staff report Published:

Frankfort Police have released the names of the officers involved in the shooting death of Gary Meadows after authorities said he pointed a handgun at them and repeatedly refused to drop it.

Officers Todd Smither, 31, and Billy Graves, 30, both members of the Tactical Response Unit, have been placed on administrative leave in accordance with Frankfort Police policy regarding officers involved in shootings.

“That’s standard, accepted practice in law-enforcement involved shooting investigations,” Police Chief and interim City Manager Walter Wilhoite said of the administrative leave.

“That’s a very, very intense situation – you don’t want a guy going back on the street the next day,” Wilhoite said. “There’s a lot of paperwork they have to do, and it’s kind of a step away from the day-to-day stuff.”

Smither joined Frankfort Police in 2005 and the Tactical Response Unit in 2007, according to a department release. Graves joined Frankfort Police in 2011 and the Tactical Response Unit in 2012.

Kentucky State Police are continuing to investigate the shooting. When finished, the results will be forwarded to the commonwealth’s attorney.

Frankfort Police are conducting an internal administrative investigation. The department said that preliminary information gathered by its detectives indicates that reasonable force was used and the actions of Smither and Graves were in compliance with the department’s policies.

According to the Frankfort Police statement on the shooting, released this morning, police received a 911 call from a woman at 9:15 p.m. on Dec. 30.

The woman, identified as Jackie Johnson by WKYT, said Meadows had her trapped in their home on Winding Way Drive and was pointing a gun at her, threatening to shoot anyone who entered the house.

Police contacted her by phone once they arrived at the scene, and she said she had secured herself in a separate area of the house.

The Tactical Response and Hostage Negotiation units were called and established a perimeter around the house. Meadows unexpectedly came out carrying a handgun.

After officers told him multiple times to drop his weapon, he pointed it at them and was shot. Wilhoite said six to eight officers were involved in the shooting incident.

Tactical medics on scene provided medical attention until Meadows, 55, was transported to Frankfort Regional Medical Center and died from gunshot wounds. Preliminary results from the coroner showed that Meadows was shot twice in the chest.

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.

  • Suicide by police.