Franklin County’s emergency sirens, two of which went off for unknown reasons last week, went back online Thursday morning.
“Hopefully we won’t need them, but when we do I think they’re good to go,” Emergency Management Director Deron Rambo said.
Sheriff Pat Melton said he was glad the sirens are back on with spring storm season approaching.
“We’re all safer today with them being back on,” Melton said.
The sirens, which are controlled by digital technology, were taken offline after the ones at Bondurant Middle School and Switzer blared twice two weeks ago for no apparent reason.
Rambo said he thinks the problem was caused by radio interference, but said some settings had been changed so hopefully the problem won’t reoccur. He and a technician from Federal Signal Corp. also performed routine maintenance on the sirens over the past two days.