Fear causes man to withdraw


DEAR ABBY: I am a 23-year-old male. Ever since I was in middle school, I have been dealing with the possibility that I might be a homosexual. Today I no longer think its a possibility. I know its a fact.

For years, not a day has gone by that I have not had homosexual thoughts and urges. I have dated a few females to try to change, but those attempts have been unsuccessful.

I am depressed, confused and angry with myself. I am becoming reclusive. I have withdrawn from most of my classes in college, and I dont want to socialize with people. Sometimes I think my life is over before it ever began.

I come from a religious family in south Georgia who believe that homosexuality is a sin and God will punish gays. In my part of the country, homophobia is everywhere. If I ever told anyone what I am feeling, I could never show my face around here again.

I keep asking myself whether or not my life would be better if I told people that I am a homosexual. I am beginning to believe that if I come out, my life would be better. Id do it now, but I couldnt stand that my family would be disappointed with me and I dont want to lose what friends I have left. I also cant bear the thought that my religious community would condemn me. What would you do if you were in my situation?


DEAR CONFUSED: If I were you, Id accept that my life wasnt working and Id probably come out. However, I am NOT you. If you come out to your family and friends, its important that you understand that you will change. It will be better, but it will also be different. How close can any of these people really be to you if they dont know who you are?

Before making up your mind, I urge you to go online to www.lgbtcenters.org and locate some gay and lesbian centers where you can get counseling. (Atlanta might be a good place to start.) You cant hide forever. With emotional support, taking such a big step will be easier.

P.S. Eventually it might be better if you move to a more diverse community to complete your education and begin your new life.

DEAR ABBY: I have a delicate problem concerning my daughter-in-law, Sheila, and my 1-year-old grandson, Cary. I consider Sheila to be an unfit mother. Her house is filthy, including the kitchen. She allows Cary to eat cat food when he crawls around on the dirty floors.

Sheila has been giving Cary various medications since he was only a week old. When he would cry, she would give him drops to relieve the gas. Next, it was a gel for his teething ailments when he was only 3 months old she still gives it to him three times a day. She has also been giving him Tylenol every day to help him sleep.

Abby, our grandson is beginning to look a bit yellow, and were afraid he may have some liver damage. Were afraid to speak out because we dont want to cause a rift in the family. I have considered writing a letter to his pediatrician, but Im not sure it would be taken seriously. What can we do?


DEAR WORRIED SICK: You are justifiably concerned about your grandsons safety and welfare, so pick up the phone and call Childhelp USA. All calls are confidential, and your anonymity will be preserved. The number to call is (800) 422- 4453. Its a 24-hour toll-free helpline, and the people who man those phones can help you report whats happening to the proper authorities in your state. You may also log on to www.childhelpusa.org.

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.