FCHS dominates

Lady Flyers mercy rule Frankfort after fast start in Classic

By Linda Younkin Published:

Franklin County’s girls soccer team had a game plan and stuck to it Wednesday, jumping out to an early lead against Frankfort High in the Rotary Capital City Classic.
“The first 10 to 15 minutes of a game, no matter who the opponent is, is a big indicator of how you’ll compete the whole game,” FCHS coach Jon Sutphin said after his team won 10-0 at the Sower Soccer Complex.
“We got out to a fast start. We told the girls to take advantage of your skill, take advantage of your size, take advantage of your speed. The girls responded well both halves.”
The Lady Flyers (2-0) got on the scoreboard less than four minutes into the game when a shot by Sammie Arnold kicked off the left post and into the net.
By halftime FCHS had scored six more times with Rebecca Fogg and Madeline Clements both scoring twice and Kerry Taylor and Quinn May each adding a goal.
“I thought we got a little sloppy in the latter part of the first half,” Sutphin said, “but part of that was we were playing girls in spots they’re not comfortable with, and that’s what we want to do, to get them comfortable at other positions.
“We’ve got 14 or 15 girls who are interchangeable all over the field, and that’s a big plus if we can get them comfortable.”
The numbers game hasn’t been so kind to Frankfort (0-2), which is already dealing with injury issues.
“We’re small,” FHS coach Daniel Rogers said. “You can see on our bench. We’ve got some girls fighting through injuries.
“We have one girl who’s been a big loss. Logan Amburgey was going to be an integral part of our system, especially in the center of the field, and she’s having ACL surgery in the morning.”
Amburgey tore her ACL in a preseason practice.
“We have an ACL, and MCL and a stress fracture, and that’s with 15 players,” Rogers said.
The Lady Panthers may have suffered another loss Wednesday. Starting keeper Serena Frye was injured late in the first half in a collision with FCHS’ Kerry Taylor. Frye didn’t play the rest of the game and was going for X-rays Wednesday night.
“Serena has improved 180 degrees,” Rogers said. “Lyndsay Vance has been working with her in goal. Maya Burke was the starting keeper for at least three years, and Serena’s been doing a lot of work. She made some nice saves.”
FCHS went ahead 8-0 when May scored her second goal with 34:54 left in the second half. Kara Runkle added a goal with 24:099 remaining, and Arnold closed out the scoring with 22:55 left.
The game was called on the mercy rule after Arnold’s goal.
Frankfort’s best chance to score came at the 34-minute mark of the second half when FCHS was called for a penalty in the box.
Maggie Smith took the penalty kick for FHS, and Fogg was in goal for the Lady Flyers, having replaced starter Kerrigan Brown less than a minute earlier.
Fogg made the save to preserve the shutout.
“Was that not crazy?” Sutphin said. “Right now we don’t really have a back-up goalkeeper on the squad. If we lost Kerrigan to an injury it could be a long season. We have a few girls who have played in goal, and Rebecca hadn’t played there in four or five years.
“Maggie Smith struck the ball well. Rebecca reacted and took a step and had to reach across her body to make the save. Of course the girls loved it.”
Lea Williams finished the game in goal for FHS after Frye was hurt.
“This is her first year to play soccer,” Rogers said, “and she made some key saves.”
The tournament concludes with two games Saturday. Franklin County will face Western Hills for the championship at 8 p.m.
Frankfort plays the first game at 6 p.m. against Shelby County.
“They fought to the end, and that’s all you can ask,” Rogers said. “We still have a lot of things to work on, but the girls work hard in practice, and they’re willing to get better.”

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.