Elkhorn Middle sixth graders create businesses while learning in entrepreneur fair

Chase Sherrow, a sixth grade student at Elkhorn Middle School, takes notes during the school’s entrepreneur fair on May 15, 2019. (Photo by McKenna Horsley)

Elkhorn Middle School sixth graders and cousins Alex and Chase Sherrow said that business was good for them during the school’s entrepreneur fair Wednesday.

The boys, who were two of about 300 students participating in the fair, named their business Sherrow Woodworking and used their prior knowledge of woodcrafting to make toys, small houses and other decorative items for sale. The entrepreneur fair began when school started Tuesday morning and lasted through the school day. Students also returned to Elkhorn Middle on Tuesday evening to sell products and services to the public.

“It’s about working hard and having fun,” Chase said.

Another sixth grade student Cole Gross sold pieces of duct tape to stick seventh grade social studies teacher Crystal Hughes to the middle school’s gym wall. He was originally going to make a balloon popping game, but he decided against it.

“It’s fun for them and fun for me,” Cole said of his business.

Sixth grade students participated in the entrepreneur fair as part of their economics unit in class. Teachers Laura Branham, Jessica Pelfrey and Christy Sapp facilitated the event. Sapp said that the students, some in groups and some on their own, created their own products and services for the fair. In addition to the Sherrows’ and Gross’ products, students made painted rocks, stress balls, picture frames, tie-dyed clothing, carnival games and more. In preparation, students had to conduct their own market research to see if their business had potential for success. Sapp said the fair teaches students about supply and demand.

Sapp said Elkhorn Middle has held the entrepreneur fair for a few years. She said that students enjoy the event and show a lot of dedication in their work.

“I’m just so proud of them, just to see the smiles on their face,” Sapp said. “You see these kids who normally aren’t very social, but they are in here selling stuff.”

Once the proceeds are turned in, Sapp said that students receive 90 percent of the profit and the other 10 percent goes to paying custodians, donating to a charity and then finally an end-of-the-year party for students. Sapp said students have not chosen a charity yet.

Recommended for you

Load comments