No one injured in early-morning attic fire at Captain D’s

The Frankfort Fire and Police departments responded to a structure fire at Captain D’s on Versailles Road early Tuesday morning. No one was in the building at the time of the fire and the cause has yet to be determined. (Photo submitted)

No one was injured when a fire broke out in the attic of Captain D’s restaurant on Versailles Road at 3:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Sixteen firefighters from Frankfort Fire Department stations 1, 2 and 4 responded to the fire, which is believed to have started from a malfunctioning refrigerator/freezer in the attic, according to Frankfort Fire Dept. Chief Wayne Briscoe. The fire was under control within 15 minutes.

A passerby reported the fire after seeing smoke billowing from the restaurant’s roof. The building was vacant at the time.

“Thankfully no one was injured,” Briscoe said, adding that the building sustained significant structural damage.

Insurance agents must decide whether the building is structurally sound before it is determined if or when the restaurant will reopen, a crew member at the scene said Tuesday afternoon.

He added that the HVAC system and electrical wiring in the attic made it more difficult for firefighters to locate the source of the blaze.

Briscoe commended his firefighters for their effort.

“They showed up, did their jobs, as they were trained to do, even though it was a tricky fire to locate,” he said. “They were professional and operated safely.”

Recommended for you

Load comments

Thank you for Reading!

Please purchase an Enhanced Subscription to continue reading.Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase an Enhanced Subscription to continue reading.